katepeck

Lost (in books) in Los Angeles

I spend six days a week around books, then come home and play with them some more. Won't you help me play?

Cat's Cradle
Kurt Vonnegut
The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights
A.S. Byatt, Richard Francis Burton, Anonymous
Death of Kings
Bernard Cornwell
Firestarter - Stephen King I enjoyed this more than Cujo, the last Stephen King book that I read. Although Cujo was probably the scarier story, this seemed to have fewer awful people. there aren't many truly evil characters in Firestarter (as opposed to, say Under the Dome), because most of the terrible things that happen are done in the name of a faceless bureaucracy. The story moves along at a good pace, and I like that the reader is dropped into the middle of the action, with the events that lead up to it being slowly revealed over the course of the novel.I saw in another review that the reader didn't like the end of the book because it went badly for one of the main characters. I kind of wanted to shake the reviewer and tell her that if she wanted an all's well that ends well kind of book she should probably avoid Stephen King in the first place. In fact, she should probably avoid most adult fiction and stick with harlequin romance novels because guess what, bad shit happens. I thought this actually went quite well for the protagonists, for a Stephen King novel, anyway.My main complaint with the ending was actually that King abandoned some of the antagonists in the end, glossing over their deaths in a way that was surprisingly un-King-like. John Rainbird, in particular, was built up as having this fascination with death, and was so intent on dying with Charlie, that I really expected the story to stay with him as he died. It's not uncommon in King's stories, especially with the main antagonists, but his death is hardly mentioned. I actually had to go back to reread the section to make sure he was dead.The final section, with Charlie's return to New York City, had me guessing, and I was genuinely surprised by the librarian's suggestion that Charlie take her story to Rolling Stone. It was a tip of the hat to that particular publication (and also made a lot of sense, I just wasn't expecting it), and a feeling that if anyone could make her story take off, it was them.